Picwing Slideshow

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Homemade Play Dough

My mom made our play-dough when I was little, so store bought play-dough smells bad to me. I asked her for the recipe, and Finn and I made play-dough today.

At first it was a little intimidating and we had to cover it with a napkin.

But then we made a CAR.

And then it was fun!


Here's the recipe, straight from mom:
Play Dough

Mix together in saucepan:

1cup of flour
1 Tablespoon salad oil
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1cup water
1/2 cup salt
a few drops of food coloring if desired
a few drops of flavored extract if you want a great smell

Cook over medium heat until dough pulls off the sides of the pan and forms a ball (stirring all the time). Remove from heat and knead until smooth ( a couple of minutes).

Keeps indefinitely in Tupperware container. Very pliable.

This amount can be divided between 8 and 10 children for play.

To remove from carpet, let dry and brush out. I always make it as close to the carpet color as possible. :)
This is true; we had green shag, gold shag, beige, & brown playdough over the years.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

ComplyKated said...

Oh doesn't homemade playdough have a comforting smell to it!

I have a recipe for peanut butter playdough. I'll have to try it and see if it works and then let you know.