If you've been following my Netflix queue, you may know that I've been watching a LOT of Jane Austen movie adaptations lately. You may wonder why motherhood has prompted such behavior. Well, I'll tell you. It's because I had been falling asleep during Finn's middle-of-the-night feedings and waking up in the chair just in time for the next feeding. I just don't like spending my precious sleeping time in a chair. It gives one a serious crick in the neck (and a numb bum).
So, I've been using our portable DVD player in Finn's room and during those late night feedings I watch Jane Austen adaptations. We own a zillion DVDs but I don't want to watch anything too suspenseful or dark or scary, and since I've studied Austen so much, all of the characters feel like old friends. And it's nice to have a friend to sit up with me in the night. Not that Jonathan wouldn't do it, but since he has to go to work and be mostly awake for that, I let him sleep through the night shift. SO it's me and my good friend Jane, along with Elizabeth and Darcy, or Edmund and Fanny, or whomever.
I've thrown in some Oscar Wilde and Henry James as well. Any sort of comedy of manners or period romance will do, really, but Austen is my fave.
I promise I'll let Finn watch some more manly stuff as he gets older, but I don't see any harm in him learning from Austen how to behave like a charming and well spoken gentleman, do you?
1 comment:
Hehe - I've often thought that I'd let my kids watch Austen adaptations at an early age because a)they'll learn lovely English and b) there's nothing offensive in them. Have you seen the new BBC Sense & Sensibility?
BTW - I didn't even know Finn was here! Congratulations! He's adorable, and I love his name! Email my Gmail!
Post a Comment