
Jonathan won't let me call this chili since it has beans in it. He calls it "chili-flavored soup". But I love chili with beans in it, and over the past couple of years I've developed the recipe below. You can make it without the meat for vegetarian chili (and I promise, it's still really tasty!). Enjoy!
Saute in a big pot:
2 TB Olive Oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 TB chili powder
1 TB cumin
1 TB oregano
1 tsp garam masala (optional, or you can use allspice.)
Up to 1/2 of an 11oz can of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced (optional, this is NUCLEAR HOT and should not be fed to children)
1 lb ground turkey or lean ground beef
Saute until the meat is done.
Add:
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cans no-salt diced tomatoes
RINSE AND DRAIN BEANS BEFORE ADDING.
2 cans no-salt pinto beans
2 cans no-salt kidney beans
2 cans no-salt black beans (I use Eden organic brand)
Simmer for a while and add:
1 TB chili powder
2 tsp cumin
15 minutes before serving, add another TB of chili powder.
Adding the chili powder at different times gives the finished chili more depth, according to the Texas State Chili Cookoff! Of course they don't put beans in theirs. :)
Top with sour cream, cheddar cheese and green onions. And Fritos, if you've got 'em. Mmm!
1 comment:
I am SO having David make your chili. Yum.
Post a Comment