Picwing Slideshow

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Dirty from the knees down

Since Finn is crawling now, I decided to get down on my hands and knees for a "baby's eye" view of the house. I did this because I was concerned about Finn's safety. And by safety, I mean the amount of dog hair that it may be dangerous for an infant to consume in less than three minutes.

Before I tell you about the grossness, let me say in my defense that I am very tall and slightly nearsighted. I'm sure this is the reason for the fact that oh my gosh, I had no idea my kitchen was that dirty. Or maybe it had something to do with the whole working-full-time-plus-part-time-graduate-school-plus-baby.

Anyway, without further ado, let me present a list of The Grossest Places in My Kitchen:

5. The vents under the refrigerator. Apparently you are supposed to vacuum the dog hair off occasionally.
4. The baseboards under the cabinets. Cobwebs! Popcorn kernels! More dog hair!
3. The crevice (or, if you prefer, the crevasse) between the stove and the cabinet. You have to clean it with a toothpick. And how do you keep it clean? Please, someone tell me a solution that does not involve a hideous strip of white vinyl that costs $39.99.
2. Underneath the broiler. I had no idea. Wow.
And the #1 Grossest Place in My Kitchen is... INSIDE the broiler. It's dusty in there. And I mean, like, an inch of dust on top of the regular broiler greasy ickiness.

I'd also like to know what is up with all of the dog hair in my kitchen, since the dogs are NOT ALLOWED in the kitchen. If you could remind Ginger of this, it would be very helpful. I am quite certain that she scavenges in there when we are gone, sniffing underneath the cabinets for stale popcorn kernels. On second thought, if she were in there licking the baseboards, wouldn't they look cleaner?

Anyway, for the moment Finn is in the magical crawling stage where you want the baseboards to be clean for him, but he isn't really getting them dirty yet. It's wonderful. Although I did go to work the other day with boogers smeared across my shins. BOOGERS. I didn't realize it until 3:oo, and at that point it's really too late to change pants. Seriously... boogers.

So I'd like everyone to know that those pesky areas between the knee and ankle are now clean, both on my shins and in my kitchen. For the time being. You can pray for my baseboards: may they repel dust, dirt, and dog hair. Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eh. Kids are surprisingly resilient. And as far as the boogers go I'm shocked that you aren't used to that by now! Get used to it now; it only get's worse from here!! :wink:

Go Finn! It won't be long before he's crusing and walking.

Then, you're in for REAL trouble!

*bwahahahahaaaaa!*

Donna said...

As far as the pants thing...look at this way, if you sit at a desk, no one knew. If you were standing, chances are they were too and would not notice. If you were standing and they were kissing your feet, they would not dare mention it. You were safe :o)

Teresa C said...

lol! It's amazing what having little ones around makes you notice that was never an issue before. Glad to know we can now come over and eat off your floors/baseboards if needed.